Patients with unexplained infertility and normal hysterosalpingogram (HSG) findings following standard infertility screening tests usually undergo timing therapy that coordinates the time of ovulation and coitus, controlled ovarian hyperstimulation, or intrauterine insemination. If the treatment is unsuccessful, diagnostic laparoscopy is performed.
Diagnostic laparoscopy for infertility is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that involves making two or three small incisions through which telescope-like instruments (laparoscope) with light and small camera are inserted. This allows the surgeon to examine the pelvic anatomy and identify conditions that are preventing conception and are otherwise undetectable.
When Is Laparoscopy Recommended?
Laparoscopy for infertility is generally only performed after other fertility tests have not resulted in a conclusive diagnosis. Some of the reasons your doctor may recommend diagnostic laparoscopy are
- Laparoscopy allows for removal and biopsy of suspect growths (fibroids) and cysts that may be hampering fertility.
- It may be recommended for women experiencing severe menstrual cramp or pelvic pain, which is a potential symptom of endometriosis.
- Laparoscopy can also remove scar tissue that can be a cause of pelvic or abdominal pain.
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases are suspected
- If the doctor suspects an ectopic pregnancy. (if left untreated it can be life-threatening)
If a diagnostic laparoscopy finds problems, the surgeon will often repair, remove, or otherwise treat the issue right away. This becomes an operative laparoscopy, and small surgical instruments are manipulated through the laparoscope or another small incision point.
An operative laparoscopic treatment in Coimbatore is recommended to treat some causes of female infertility if the following happens.
- Hydrosalpinx which is a type of fallopian tube blockage is suspected. Removing the affected tube can improve IVF success.
- A fibroid is causing pain, distorting the uterine cavity, or blocking your fallopian tubes.
- You have PCOS and the doctor has recommended ovarian drilling. This is a simple procedure where it involves 3 to 8 tiny punctures into the ovaries. It enables them to ovulate on their own.
- Endometrial deposits are suspected to reduce fertility. . Some doctors say that removal is only warranted in case of severe pain, while others say it can improve the pregnancy success rates and is worth doing even if pelvic pain is not a problem.
- An ovarian cyst is suspected of causing pain or blocking the fallopian tubes.
- Surgery may or may not be able to unblock or repair a fallopian tube. The success rates vary greatly when it comes to tubal repair. If IVF is needed even after surgery, then it is better to go for IVF which is a better process. If a woman is young and other fertility factors are good, surgical repair is worth trying.
What are the benefits of Laparoscopy?
It allows the doctor to see the abdominal organs and sometimes can correct any problems detected, without making any large incisions. Along with reduced blood loss and reduced risk of infections, it has comparatively lesser recovery time or hospital stay. In many cases of unexplained infertility or situations where pelvic pain is not a factor, the benefits of surgery outweigh the risks.
How is it done?
Rao hospital are one of the pioneers in laparoscopy since 1980s and one of the Best Laparoscopic Surgery Hospitals in Coimbatore. Your doctor will give you instructions on how to prepare for surgery beforehand. You will be instructed not to eat or drink for 8 or more hours before your scheduled surgery, and will be given antibiotics.
Laparoscopy is performed under general anaesthesia. Once the anaesthesia has taken effect, the doctor will make a small cut around the belly button and through the cut, a needle will be used to fill your abdomen with CO2 gas. This provides enough room for the doctor to see the organs and move the surgical instruments. The surgeon will then visually evaluate the pelvic organs and the surrounding abdominal organs. He/she will then look for the presence of cysts, fibroids, scar tissue, adhesions, and endometrial growths. Also, the reproductive organs are analyzed. Operative laparoscopy may be performed, if needed.
You will not feel any pain because you will be under the effect of general anaesthesia. You may also be allowed to go home on the same day of the surgery, however, do plan to take rest for one or two days. You may need a week or two to recover if many repairs were made. Be sure to speak to your doctor about what to expect.
Rao Hospital with its most advanced treatments and complete women care has been named one of the best hospitals in this region for Birthing, Fertility and Gynecological services. Furthermore, our team of certified doctors & nurses are guaranteed to provide you with the best in clinical care during your pregnancy planning, birthing, and beyond. Since 1985, the hospital has assisted more than 35,000 childless couples to have children by laying greater focus on Infertility and Laparoscopy. Rao Hospital is also a pioneer in the field of Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopic surgeries. We ensure safe and ethical practice, and assure you with best results. If you are suffering from unexplained infertility, schedule an appointment with our infertility specialist today! (http://raohospital.com/)